2022's Top U.S. Wellness Trends According to Mindbody
Mindbody’s Wellness Index looks at American wellness across all seven dimensions: physical, emotional, intellectual, spiritual, environmental, social, and occupational.
This year, Mindbody surveyed over 16,000 general population adults in the largest 50 cities in the US, and found these were the top wellness trends for 2022:
1. From the inside out: Increased interest in immune health: In 2022, we expect the increased focus on immune health to continue, with one in five Americans having tried new services or treatments that support immune health and another 46 percent who are interested in trying those services moving forward.
2. Mental wellness is a top priority: Over a third of Americans ranked mental health as the most important dimension of wellness. About half of America agreed that the pandemic has negatively affected their mental well-being. In the past year, 37 percent of Americans have incorporated physical fitness into their routine to help support their mental well-being while 14 percent have added yoga and 9 percent have added wellness treatments like acupuncture to their routines.
3. Sexual wellness is taboo no more: Sexual wellness is a facet of well-being that’s been historically kept behind closed doors—but it’s time to break those doors wide open. From sex therapy to vaginal steaming to erectile dysfunction treatments, the once-taboo topic is becoming mainstream, and 32 percent of Americans are actively seeking information or resources to help them improve their sexual wellness or skills.
4. Facial exercises are the new burpees: Millennials are leading the way on this trend, with 36 percent reporting interest in or already participating in facial exercises. Nearly three in ten respondents already do or are interested in doing facial exercises to tone their face muscles, like face yoga.
5. Pets and wellness: Wellness isn’t just for humans anymore: With 20 percent of US households adopting a dog or cat since the beginning of COVID-19, consumers are on the lookout for pet-friendly wellness experiences. Two in five Americans expressed interest in going to a fitness establishment that’s pet friendly while 41 percent of consumers were interested in going to pet-friendly salons or spas.